Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Terrific Bridal Shop - Somerville, NJ

The first bridal shop I visited in NJ was Isabelle's on Division Street in Somerville. And, thanks to her great service and a deal I could not pass up, I left the store in about an hour with my wedding dress in-bag!

Isabelle is not the name of the lady who owns the shop - I believe her name is Karen, but it's been a while so I'm not entirely sure. I do remember that Isabelle was the name of the little doggie mascot who stood watch at the window and barked at the construction workers and passerbys outside.

I'll give you a rundown of my experience at Isabelle's. First I went in and explained to the owner (Karen?) that I was on a limited budget and wanted something simple that would flatter my petite yet plump frame. She kind of laughed and asked me why I had such a negative body image (you say negative, I say realistic... whatever!). Then she assured me that I had a great figure and would look beautiful in my wedding gown, and proceed to make recommendations that reflected my taste and price range.

I was open enough to take her suggestion of trying on a spaghetti strap dress, although it wasn't my initial plan to wear one. I tried on the dress she recommended, and was quite surprised at the potential I saw there.

She then explained to me that there was a lot the dressmaker could do to customize the dress and make it work for me. The straps could easily be removed - or, changed into a cap-sleeve without any major upheaval. She also explained that the tailor could add a panel to the back (because the dress was a bit tight), and make a bustle in the back that my bridesmaids or helpers could tighten for a flattering, figure-hugging look.

With all these possibilities dancing about in my head, and her agreement to a price that I simply could not refuse, I walked out of the store quite pleased with my purchase.

Although I didn't end up wearing that dress because my practicality won out (I was a mommy-bride - my son was 2 at the time, and I didn't want the fuss of a big, bustley gown that I could possibly trip on while picking him up), I do not regret my purchase in the least.

I assure you that I was in excellent hands the day I shopped for, and bought, my wedding gown at Isabelle's Bridal on Division Street in Somerville, NJ.

Check out their website and stop in for some first-rate service!

No comments:

Post a Comment