Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How to Save Money on Your Wedding Cake



We got our wedding cake from a bakery in Somerville, NJ called The Dessert Plate. They're known for using simple, pure and delicious ingredients in their freshly made baked cakes, cookies and treats.

To be honest, I didn't put all that much effort into shopping around for the biggest bargain or perfect wedding cake. I Googled, found these guys, and their foodie philosophy resonated with my own, so I chose them. We didn't even show up for a tasting. We just trusted that they were good. What can I say, my husband and I are easy to please.

One of the main reasons I went with The Dessert Plate is that they're down the road from our wedding venue, which was the Somerville Elks Club on Union Ave/Rt. 28. They delivered our cake with no problem, so it was all hassle-free for us.

They also gave us ideas on how to bring the cost of wedding cake down. Rather than order a huge cake with lots of tiers, you can go with a smaller, display cake for the bride and groom, and then have the rest baked as a sheet cake which costs less money. We ordered a 2-tier cake, and I think a sheet cake and a half, to feed about 160 (?) people.

Our cake cost about $400, when all was said and done. But I will say, the bride who takes the prize for Best Deal on a Wedding Cake is my friend Maria, who paid I think $13 for her wedding cake. I'm not sure how she did this – will have to ask her!

No comments:

Post a Comment