Wednesday, September 28, 2016

What's the one standout feature of your wedding that you do not regret having paid for?

Continuing on with our social media convo about wedding expenses... yesterday I posed the question,

"What's the one standout feature of your wedding that you do not regret having paid for in the least?"

 
Most who responded were either food people, booze people, music people, or all of the above! "Open bar" was probably the most common answer, and the one that received the most positive feedback from Facebook Likers.

The foodies said things like:

"Food and booze. We had it at our house under a tent, so we were able to pick exactly what we wanted (caterer is a good friend) it's been 6 years and people still talk about the food!" - Angela Sulla, PA

"Ice cream bar!" - Jess Wyble, Washington NJ (GREAT idea!)

Liz Cincola of CT, expressed a special feeling for the dress she chose, and celebrated the bargain she struck on flowers

"Three favorite things: my cake (included with the reception hall), my flowers (paid at cost from my mom's long time florist), and my dress - which I went halfsies with my mom because I cried when I tried it on, and she cried when she looked at the price tag."

Ann Zuccardy, too, scored some terrific, wedding-day attire: 

"My gown. It fit me like a glove with no alterations needed, but it was last year's model and at a deeply reduced price. I think I paid just over $200 for it. (In 1988.)" 

Some ladies expressed satisfaction at having invested in a pricier photographer or videographer who did an amazing job.

Libby Lomauro of North Jersey gave her husband a thumbs-up for procuring the perfect engagement ring. "He did a great job," she said.

And Nicole Dean of Pensacola, FL confessed that her honeymoon was the best wedding-themed investment she made!

Many were pleased with the band or DJ that they had chosen, saying things like: "The band! It was our single biggest expense and worth every penny. The memories from that show last forever." (Astin Benedetto, Phillipsburg, NJ)

One savvy bride offered a service trade in exchange for her wedding-day pics:

"Our photographer (which we didn't actually pay for, my husband traded a website for) and our DJ." (Becka Bossons, PA)

The most touching response goes to Maria Stepek Doherty of the UK, who offered a more sentimental take on this question:  

"Two stand outs, marrying in the Polish community church with the Polish priest officiating and having our small, immediate family only, reception in the Polish Club which my father had helped to found and keep going since he arrived penniless as a refugee. It made a powerful sense of connection with my roots."

Funniest/most practical response goes to our lone male respondent, Mike Donatelli, who said:

"Mouthwash and Advil in the goodie bag."

I think that we can walk away from this conversation with the understanding that each person is different. Your non-negotiable wedding-day feature could be very different from mine... and yet, we might both feel as though we hit the jackpot in terms of getting a deal, finding the perfect (dress, band, photographer), etc.

Happy Wedding Planning from one Frugal NJ Bride to Another!


No comments:

Post a Comment